August 17, 2011

Chicken (or Mushroom) Paprikash

My all-time FAVORITE comfort food is my mom's chicken paprikash.  She makes the chicken by dredging it in flour and frying it, then makes these awesome dumplings (similar to gnocci) and a paprika-sour cream gravy to go over everything. I always used to pick that for my birthday dinners!  Anyways, here is my "light" version of my favorite comfort meal.  It tastes better than it looks, I promise :)

For Mushroom Paprikash: As you may know, I'm not a big fan of chicken. So I've actually made this with whole button mushrooms before, instead of the chicken, and it was DELICIOUS. Cook it the same way, only substitute mushrooms for the chicken breasts. You can use plain water or vegetable broth for the chicken broth.


Chicken Paprikash

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (whole or cut in chunks)
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
4 tsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. paprika (note: that is TABLESPOONS, not teaspoons... it seems like a lot, but trust me)
1/2 cup chicken broth
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup fat free sour cream
8 oz. (dry) egg noodles

Start a pot of water to boil for the noodles, and cook according to package directions.  Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onions, and cook until the onions are soft and starting to caramelize. Add the chicken and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the paprika, chicken broth, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Turn the heat to low, and add the sour cream. Keep over low heat until the sour cream is heated through (don't boil it because it will curdle). Serve over hot cooked egg noodles (egg noodles included in nutritional info).
Serves 4.

7 comments:

  1. OK....I made this recipe with the mushrooms instead of chicken today and IT WAS FABULOUS!!! So delicious, and such a rich flavorable sauce!! YUMMMMM!!
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this tonight for dinner and added mushrooms with the chicken. It was very good and my family ate it up. It was not as flavorful as I had expected with all that Paprika. I served it over brown rice instead of noodles. Still a recipe I will make again! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been making this for my husband for a few years now, his mom taught me to make it the exact way he likes it. I haven't made it for a while because I didn't know how to lighten it up for myself to enjoy too. Thank you for the recipe, will definitely trying it out for Sunday dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made this last night (double batch for lots of leftovers) and it was good! The image had been haunting me since you posted a link in your blog so I just had to try. I did find that adding cayenne pepper took it to a whole new level for me, but I love a kick in just about everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good and easy! Made a few changes....for the family made one with chicken, using half sour cream and half plain Greek yogurt (because I ran out of sour cream) added 1/8 t. Cayenne pepper (as suggested by poster above) and yes, liked the 'kick' it gave. Also, used Smoked Paprika ....which we liked the flavor. I also made a mushroom one because had some portabella mushrooms I wanted to use up. Just cut them in thick chunks and sautéed them in onions like the chicken. In the mushroom dish I used all Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Anyways, we really liked this and will be making it again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I have to agree I like the mushroom version better. But don't get me wrong both tastes heavenly. Awesome recipe. The family really enjoyed the meal because of this.

    ReplyDelete