August 17, 2011

Moroccan Meatballs

I've been really into cinnamon lately, used as an ingredient in a savory dish. It's really good! When I first made this, I was tempted to leave the cinnamon out, but chose to try it... and I'm so glad I did!  The combination of the cinnamon and the jalapeno really "make" this dish.




Moroccan Meatballs


4 servings Fit & Active turkey meatballs (I get these at Aldi)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced (if you don't use the seeds or ribs, this is a very mild dish that my kids enjoy--but I like the spiciness of the seeds when the kids won't be eating it)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger
1 can crushed tomatoes
pasta, rice, or whole grain for serving... My family loves Orzo pasta, I love quinoa.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until onion is soft. Meanwhile, put the meatballs in the microwave to thaw (about 3-4 minutes on high).  To the skillet, add the meatballs, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, tomatoes, and jalapeno. Bring to a boil, then cover and cook over low heat about 10 minutes.  Serve over orzo, rice, quinoa, etc. Makes 4 servings.

5 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds great. I'll have to check out Aldi for those meatballs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making this this weekend, but I am using ground buffalo to make the meatballs....I have tried 3 different Aldi's in our area and none of them have them :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have already made this twice in the past week. I am addicted. However, next time I am going to go meatless to save a few calories. SOOOOO Goood. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. Tastes great especially with rice. My nephews don't like rice much but after having this for dinner they actually want me to cook rice and meatballs again. Really tasty and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too loved this! I also added 1 tble spoon of chili powder in it and its perfect!

    ReplyDelete