August 17, 2011

Spicy Carrot Bisque

Spicy Carrot Bisque
    My friend Courtney made this for me when I had a broken jaw and my mouth was wired shut. It's a pureed soup, so I was thrilled to be able to eat it. It is absolutely DELICIOUS. I'm not even a huge fan of carrots, but this soup is one of my favorites!  The original recipe used a roux to thicken (butter + flour), but I don't find it necessary. Also, I used half & half instead of heavy cream and used less of it. It is rich and thick, and yummy, and it is the very definition of "comfort food" for me!

3 lbs. carrots, peeled and sliced or chopped
1 onion, chopped
8 cups chicken broth
1 cup half & half  (regular, not fat free)
1/4 tsp. white pepper (this is what makes it so good!)
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. cumin

Combine everything except for the half & half in a soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer (med-low) and cook until the carrots are soft (depends on how small the pieces are, but about 30 minutes). Use a stick blender to puree (if you don't have a stick blender, you can use a blender and just do it in batches). Stir in the half & half and heat through--just don't boil it after adding the half & half.

Makes about 10 cups. Per cup:  99 calories, 3.5 grams fat, 4 grams fiber, 16 grams carbs, 3 grams protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...