February 7, 2012

Quinoa Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing

A reader sent me a link to this recipe, thinking I might like it. I'm glad she did, because it was great! The original recipe can be found here. I made a few modifications, so I'll post those below. It sounds like a strange combination of ingredients, but it worked really well together.

Not the prettiest dish, but it tastes good!
Quinoa Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing
(modified to make 1 serving)

1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup coleslaw mix (just plain shredded green cabbage and carrots)
3-4 slices of cucumber, julienned

For the sauce:
1.5 Tbsp. smooth natural peanut butter
1.5 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp. honey
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

Bring the water to a boil in a small sauce pan, and add the quinoa. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer until water is absorbed (about 10 minutes).

Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl until smooth. Add the coleslaw mix and cucumber, and toss to coat. When the quinoa is done cooking, add it to the bowl and toss again until everything is coated.  Makes 1 serving


10 comments:

  1. I like that the recipe is for just one serving because, unfortunately, I think I would be the only one that liked it. There's just some things I won't bother to put in front of them, but this sounds perfect for my lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds awesome! It would be great on it's own or maybe as a side dish to some grilled chicken w/Thai seasoning. I've not made too much quinoa, but I like it. I recently heard that toasting it in a 350' oven for about 10 minutes makes the flavor incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sound yum! and I really LOVE quinoa. and with PB? yes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!!! Eating this while I am typing, so GOOD!! Thank you so much for all of the recipes and inspiration! You ROCK!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this one day last week and am making it again for lunch today. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was awesome. Seems like I always have a cup or so of cooked quinoa left over from a previous recipe so, this is a perfect way to use it up! I didn't have any cucumbers, but, add some chopped green onions instead. Super easy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, Katie, this is FABULOUS! This is definitely gonna be made frequently at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is flippin' DELICIOUS. I added garlic and Siracha to give it an extra kick and then probably extra vinegar since I love vinegar (I didn't really measure). SO GOOD. I will be making this often in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has been my "go to" lunch for a few days now. Absolutely delicious. Thank you so much for posting it. I used your tweaked version.

    ReplyDelete