April 5, 2016

Banana Oat Bran Muffins

I was craving a bran muffin something crazy yesterday, and I didn't have any bran cereal (which is called for in a lot of recipes I looked up). I looked at the Oat Bran box, and found a recipe there. I happened to have all the ingredients, so I made these (with a couple of modifications). They turned out amazing! They taste like banana bread, but with a really nice bran muffin texture. And the coconut oil gives them a subtly unique flavor. They didn't even need a spread! At only 135 calories each, you could certainly spread them with peanut butter, coconut oil, or even eat two of them. 


Banana Oat Bran Muffins

2 cups Quaker Oat Bran, uncooked (found by the hot cereals in the grocery store)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup whole milk (you could use low fat milk, but I prefer whole)
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted (you could use other oils, but the coconut oil makes these muffins even better!)
1 medium banana, mashed

Preheat oven to 425. Line 12 baking cups with paper liners. Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and then add the wet ingredients. Stir to combine well. Divide the batter among the 12 baking cups (about 3/4 full) and bake for 15-17 minutes. 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Katie! I have 1 or 2 bananas at the end of their life in my kitchen - this is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete