November 5, 2014

Stuffed Pepper Soup

This recipe is loosely based on the one found on Skinny Taste. I had a ton of peppers to use up, and that recipe only called for 1 cup, so I made some changes to accommodate all my peppers (and my family's tastes). This soup is SO yummy!



2 tsp. olive oil
1 lb. extra lean ground turkey breast
4 bell peppers (I used one green, one yellow, and two red), chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 cups beef broth
2 cans petite diced tomatoes
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can (6 oz) tomato juice (you probably don't need this, I just threw it in there because I had it in the pantry)
3/4 tsp. marjoram
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1.5 cups uncooked rice (white or brown--I used white)

Cook the rice according to package directions, and set aside. Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot (at least 5.5-quart size). Add the onion and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the turkey, breaking it up as it browns. Once the turkey is browned, add the bell peppers and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients (except the rice) and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and let it cook until the peppers and onions are as soft as you'd like (I cooked it about 15 minutes). Add the rice to the soup pot, and stir to combine. If it's too thick, you can add some water (I added about two cups).  (You could keep the rice separate from the rest of the soup and only add it when serving, so it doesn't overcook--but I like to add it right to the soup)

When made as written, it should produce about 14 cups. Using the Weight Watchers Recipe Builder, that comes out to 3 PointsPlus per cup (I ate two cups per serving).

2 comments:

  1. is it possible you could add the nutritional info also?
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this stuffed pepper Soup Great recipe. You're such an inspiration, thank you for sharing this

    ReplyDelete