August 17, 2011

Spicy Carrot Bisque

My friend Courtney made this for me when I had a broken jaw and my mouth was wired shut. It's a pureed soup, so I was thrilled to be able to eat it. It is absolutely DELICIOUS. I'm not even a huge fan of carrots, but this soup is one of my favorites!  The original recipe used a roux to thicken (butter + flour), but I don't find it necessary. Also, I used half & half instead of heavy cream and used less of it. It is rich and thick, and yummy, and it is the very definition of "comfort food" for me!



Spicy Carrot Bisque
  
3 lbs. carrots, peeled and sliced or chopped
1 onion, chopped
8 cups chicken broth
1 cup half & half  (regular, not fat free)
1/4 tsp. white pepper (this is what makes it so good!)
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. cumin

Combine everything except for the half & half in a soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer (med-low) and cook until the carrots are soft (depends on how small the pieces are, but about 30 minutes). Use a stick blender to puree (if you don't have a stick blender, you can use a blender and just do it in batches). Stir in the half & half and heat through--just don't boil it after adding the half & half.

Makes about 10 cups. Per cup:  99 calories, 3.5 grams fat, 4 grams fiber, 16 grams carbs, 3 grams protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment