August 17, 2011

Split Pea Soup

Despite how gross it looks, I LOVE split pea soup. My husband does too, and this recipe is our favorite.


Split Pea & Ham Soup

1 (1 lb) bag of dried split peas
1/2 cup pearl barley
3 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
10 oz. of potatoes, peeled and diced
1 (8 oz) package of diced ham
8 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf

Place all ingredients in the slow cooker, cover, and cook on high for about 4 hours (or low for 6-8 hours) until thick. Makes 8 servings, approximately 1-1/2 cups each.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I've been looking for crock pot recipes, and this looks like one I'll have to try. Where do you buy the barley? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find barley at the grocery store usually next to all the dried beans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making this tomorrow! My husband found only quick cooking barley at the store?! I'll have to figure that one out haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made this for my family and we LOVEDDDDDDD it. It was my first time making split pea soup from scratch. Thanks for the wonderful recipe. I hope I never have to eat canned split pea soup again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the yellow substance next to the carrots and barley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's chicken bouillon. I just added 8 cups of water, so it made "broth" :)

      Delete
    2. The soup was very good!!

      Delete
  6. Found your recipe on Pintrest! Love this split pea recipe!

    ReplyDelete